The ascent of this 6000m plus mountain in 10 days is probably the quickest one can climb it, keeping in mind that one needs some time to acclimatize to the altitudes as well. After spending the first couple of days acclimatizing in Leh during which time we also visit some monasteries and the interesting Leh market, we set off for a week long trek. Instead of approaching the mountain head-on we travel some distance west and then approach it through a slightly longer route crossing the Stok La (4890m) and then descending to the Stok valley.
Delhi to Leh (3500m)
Board the early morning flight from Delhi to Leh. It takes a little more than an hour to get to Leh, the capital of Ladakh. On a clear day the flight offers excellent views of the mighty Himalayas. Arrive at the hotel for welcome drinks followed by breakfast. Spend the rest of the day at leisure. Overnight Hotel
Monastery visits in Leh
Spend half the day visiting Shey and Thiksey monasteries around Leh. Return to hotel for lunch and spend the day exploring the Leh market. Overnight Hotel
Leh to Rumbak (3870m)
Drive to Zingchen (3390m) and trek to Rumbak The drive goes past the Leh airstrip, the Spituk Gompa, crosses the river Indus and carries on as a bumpy jeep road till Zingchen. The trail follows the stream from here till the pastures at Rumbak which is a junction of a few trails. The campsite is a little more than an hour’s walk from here. Overnight Camp.
Trek Rumbak to Mounkarmo
After an early morning breakfast we approach the base of the Stok La and start climbing the steep winding trail up to the pass. Stok La is at 4890m and this climb makes everyone feel the altitude. A steep descent from here brings us to the Stok valley and along the more popular route used to approach the mountain. We camp at a small campsite just short of the bigger campsite of Mounkarmo. Overnight Camp
Rest at the Mountkarmo
Today we take an acclimatization climb up a side valley to get some real height gain in. Return to camp by late afternoon for hot lunch. Overnight Camp.
Trek Mounkarmo to Stok Kangri Base Camp
Now we follow the busy trail up to the Stok Kangri base camp. It’s a short day with gradual ascent to the campsite. The base camp is on a big meadow and is usually full of climbers from all parts of the world. After lunch, do a short yet steep hike to gain some altitude. Overnight Camp
Spend the first half of the day getting your gear ready. We check the entire climbing equipment and ensure that everyone is kitted out properly. Relax in the second half of the day as we leave for the summit in the middle of the night. Overnight Climb
Early Climb to Stok Kangri
The toughest day of the trip, it would test anyone’s endurance as it’s a long way up from the Base Camp to the Summit and back. The climb starts steepily from the Base Camp which flattens out slowly till we cross the glacier. Having crossed the glacier we climb up the steep slope to the summit ridge. A couple of hours of scrambling on the ridge brings us to the summit of the Stok Kangri which offers wide open views of the Karakoram range on the north with the Saser Kangri dominating the sky and Zanskar ranges on the south.Overnight Camp
Trek to Stok village and drive to Leh
We exit out of the Stok valley at Stok village. After washing up at the hotel we will have time enough to do last minute shopping in Leh market. Overnight hotel.
Fly to Delhi
It’s an early morning flight back to Delhi. Trip ends.
Amenities includes according to the tour
- Accommodation on twin sharing Hotels and deluxe camps as mentioned.
- Meals inclusion as specified in the itinerary.
- A back up vehicle (pick up jeep) and one experienced mechanic from day 3 till the the 7th day .
- Royal Enfeild 500cc bikes from day.
- Local guide in Turtuk village.
- Airport pickup and drop in Leh.
- one dedicated trip leader.
Amenities excludes according to the tour
- Any Airfare
- Expenses of personal nature like laundry, telephone/fax calls, alcoholic beverages, camera/video camera fee at monuments, medical expenses, gratuities etc.
- Any Insurance
- Any expenses incurred due to delays owing to Force Majeure conditions or unforeseen circumstances
- Any other services not mentioned in the inclusions.
Payments and cancellations
- A minimum 50% of total on confirmation.
- 2 months before departure –No Charge
- 29‐60 days before departure‐25% of total
- 10‐28 days before departure‐50% of total
- Less than 10 days before departure‐No Refund
What to Do and Don’t on the Trip
- On Arrival please rest for 24 Hours, as you are travelling to High Altitude and would need time to acclimatize.
- Have plenty of drinking water or any kind of liquid (except alcohol).
- While visiting any Gompa, Please take a Lamas Permission for Photo or Video Shoot.
- Please wear proper clothing while visiting Gompas.
- For Females: No Open Hair, Short Skirts or any Short Dresses allowed at Gompa.
- For Males: No Short Pants or Sleeveless allowed at Gompa.
- Please follow Gompa Rules while visiting.
- D Cold –Illness / Combiflam–Body Pain.
- Vicks Balm.
- Diamox(250mg) –For High Altitude / High Pressure.
- Personal Medicines if any.
- GluconD / Electralpowder & Camphor.
- Dependel M
- Vicks inhaler
Essential Stuff that you might need.
- T-SHIRTS (preferably dry-fits)
- TRACK LOWERS
- THERMAL INNERS (Upper & Lower)
- SWEAT SHIRT
- SUN CAP & BALACLAVA
- EXTRA BATTERIES
- SUNSCREEN, minimum 50spf
- SUN GLASSES
- DOWN JACKET
- PERSONAL MEDICATION –if any
- PEN KNIFE
- SOCKS (min.5 pairs) –Cotton & Woollen