Zanskar – a remote valley in Ladakh is the fabled “Land of White Copper” – a land of glaciers and extreme cold, snow leopards and the ibex, black wolves and the rare Himalayan blue poppy, and of spirits and monks. At an average altitude of over 13,000 ft, the strange aspect of this valley is that it has no entrance. The two rivers that flow in it meet to carve a gorge so long and deep that one cannot travel down it to enter or exit the region. The only way out is crossing the Zanskar range of mountains, through high passes that are closed eight months in a year. This gorge of the Zanskar therefore, remains un-trekkable during the summer when the snow melt sends the river raging, but forms a corridor of ice in winter which serves as the only way, albeit dangerous, out of the Zanskar valley.
Met on arrival in Leh and transferred to hotel. Day free to acclimatize. Overnight guest house on full board.
Acclimatize and half day sightseeing of monasteries. Overnight guest house on full board.
Leh/Nimu/Chilling/Start trek to Bakula
(3-4 hours trek)
Transferred by jeep on a tarmac road till Chilling. Then drive on jeep track for a few kilometers at Guru Do before starting the trek. Overnight camp by the river.
(5-6 hours trek)
Trek on the frozen river. Overnight camp at Teeb cave
(6-7 hours trek)
Walk on frozen river. Overnight camp at Neeraq.
Nyerak towards Hanumil and back to Nyerak
(8 hours trek)
We walk up the river valley from Nyerak, and upto a very steep canyon where we have lunch. Return to Nyerak by evening. Its a lovely day in the canyon!! Camp.
Visit the Nyerak village, its monastery and spend a day watching winter village life at work.
Trek to Chilling and drive to Leh
Return trek to Chilling in 3 easy days. Board the waiting vehicles at the road head a little upstream of Chilling to be driven to the Guest house in Leh. Overnight Guest House
Early morning transfer to the Leh airport to board the flight back to Delhi.
Amenities includes according to the tour
- Accommodation on twin sharing Hotels and deluxe camps as mentioned.
- Meals inclusion as specified in the itinerary.
- A back up vehicle (pick up jeep) and one experienced mechanic from day 3 till the the 7th day .
- Royal Enfeild 500cc bikes from day.
- Local guide in Turtuk village.
- Airport pickup and drop in Leh.
- one dedicated trip leader.
Amenities excludes according to the tour
- Any Airfare
- Expenses of personal nature like laundry, telephone/fax calls, alcoholic beverages, camera/video camera fee at monuments, medical expenses, gratuities etc.
- Any Insurance
- Any expenses incurred due to delays owing to Force Majeure conditions or unforeseen circumstances
- Any other services not mentioned in the inclusions.
Payments and cancellations
- A minimum 50% of total on confirmation.
- 2 months before departure –No Charge
- 29‐60 days before departure‐25% of total
- 10‐28 days before departure‐50% of total
- Less than 10 days before departure‐No Refund
What to Do and Don’t on the Trip
- On Arrival please rest for 24 Hours, as you are travelling to High Altitude and would need time to acclimatize.
- Have plenty of drinking water or any kind of liquid (except alcohol).
- While visiting any Gompa, Please take a Lamas Permission for Photo or Video Shoot.
- Please wear proper clothing while visiting Gompas.
- For Females: No Open Hair, Short Skirts or any Short Dresses allowed at Gompa.
- For Males: No Short Pants or Sleeveless allowed at Gompa.
- Please follow Gompa Rules while visiting.
- D Cold –Illness / Combiflam–Body Pain.
- Vicks Balm.
- Diamox(250mg) –For High Altitude / High Pressure.
- Personal Medicines if any.
- GluconD / Electralpowder & Camphor.
- Dependel M
- Vicks inhaler
Essential Stuff that you might need.
- T-SHIRTS (preferably dry-fits)
- TRACK LOWERS
- THERMAL INNERS (Upper & Lower)
- SWEAT SHIRT
- SUN CAP & BALACLAVA
- EXTRA BATTERIES
- SUNSCREEN, minimum 50spf
- SUN GLASSES
- DOWN JACKET
- PERSONAL MEDICATION –if any
- PEN KNIFE
- SOCKS (min.5 pairs) –Cotton & Woollen